COMMUNICATING ON WORKFORCE REDUCTION AT A TEXTILE FACTORY – INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL
Public Affairs/Strategic Communication/Media Management /Crisis Communication/Internal communication
Situation – Textile Factory sacks about 100 staffs to maintain business
Countries like Madagascar and Bangladesh have a much cheaper labour than in Mauritius. This textile factory, based in Mauritius, therefore had no choice than to reduce its workforce in Mauritius.
Maluti’s Consulting role
- Assist management in connecting with relevant authorities
- Strategic planning and drafting of timeline of the workforce reductions plan
- Media relation strategy and implementation of strategy.
- Press management (local and regional)
- Drafting of all internal and external communiqués
- Internal: The announcement phase went smoothly at the factory. Thanks to a honest communication approach which was adopted, the staffs understood the need of this reduction – and they were given adequate compensation.
- External: The ‘news’ focused more on the ‘survival necessity’ of the factory rather than the actual workforce reduction itself.
- Overall: The factory is today operating successfully with a reduced, but motivated workforce.