CRISIS & INTERNAL COMMUNICATION AFTER A MURDER ON A COMPANY’S PREMISES
Strategic Communication/Internal communication/Media Management /Crisis Communication
Situation – Internal communication and media relations after a security guard was murdered on a company’s premises.
Maluti had been the company’s PR agency for a while and had put in place a crisis management preparedness plan. Maluti was requested to manage both internal communication and media relations after a security guard was murdered on a company’s premises.
Maluti’s Consulting role
- Accompany MD and HR manager with strategic internal communication in this time of high stress.
- Roll-out Crisis Communication plan which had already been prepared.
- Ensure that all the elements of the plan were put into practice.
- Coordinate the crisis communication team’s efforts.
- Update all relevant documentation, including press communiqués and internal communication.
- Ensure already prepared communication tools were used effectively.
- Assist management in connecting with relevant authorities, with whom management already had a relationship thanks to the communication crisis preparedness plan.
- Keep media channeled and properly updated.
- Internally, the staff was kept informed at all times, and from the first hour and psychological support was available since the beginning, thus minimizing potential internal trauma issues.
- The media was to-the-point in all their reporting, and focused on the murder and not on the company.
- Despite the police investigation being long, reports were minimal.
- The company’s reputation as a responsible employer was upheld.